2014 Kilkenny Time Trial League
Marble City Cyclers are delighted to jointly host this year’s Time Trial league with Kilkenny Triathlon Club, Deenside Wheelers and Kells Angels. This year, with the addition of Kells Angels joining we are changing the format slightly - each route will only run once and we will also have a new hill climb time trial.
The format of the 2014 Kilkenny Time-Trial league has been agreed as follows between all clubs:
1. Entry is only open to current members of Kilkenny Triathlon Club, Marble City Cyclers, Deenside Wheelers and Kells Angels.
2. The first TT is on Thursday, 1st May 2014. It will continue every Thursday as outlined below. The last TT will be on 5th June 2014
3. There are four routes for the TT League and each route will be used once and run in the following order:
TIME TRIAL 1 - Thursday 1st May Kilmanagh TT - 14.5km.
This starts at the Kilmanagh Creamery.
Click link for route - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/94148975
TIME TRIAL 2 - Thursday 8th May Cilin Hill TT - 13.5km.
This starts beside the entrance to Cillin Hill on the Dublin Road.
Click link for route - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/94155307
TIME TRIAL 3 - Thursday 15th May Castlecomer TT - 16km.
Starting point of race is Railyard, Moneenroe - on the Dublin Road four miles outside Castlecomer.
Click here for route - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/94127133
TIME TRAIL 4 - Thusday 22nd May - NEW Kells TT - 15.4km.
This will start at Ennisnag, Stoneyford.
Click here for route - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/387345354
TIME TRIAL 5 - Thursday 5th June - NEW Hill Climb TT - 5.5km
Click here for route - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/388429684
TIME TRIAL 6 - Thursday 26th June - Team Time Trial - 12.5km
Starting at Laharts Garage on the Waterford Road.
Click here for route - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/440942350
4. The first rider will depart at 7pm each evening. Riders MUST arrive in time to sign-on BEFORE 7pm each evening, and MUST arrive no later than 6:15pm on the first evening (Thursday 1st May) so that they can be given a sign-on number, can pay their fee, and so that the Start-List can be planned etc. Each participant will be required to sign the sign-on sheet each night.
5. Following the 5 weeks of the TT Series, there will be a one-off Team Time Trial on Thursday 26th June. Each club will make up one 5-person team. The winning time will be based on the time the 4th member of the team crosses the finishing line (so one member may get dropped without penalty, although 5 members MUST start). The route will start at Laharts on the Waterford Road, go out to the motorway and back in (12.5km total distance.)
6. The number given to the participant on the first night will remain their number for the remainder of the league. Please make a note of it and keep it for the duration of the league.
7. The league will adopt Triathlon Ireland’s rules in relation to drafting. This is as follows:
- Bicycle draft zone: the draft zone will be a rectangle. The width will always be 3 metres wide by 10 metres length
- An athlete may enter the draft zone of another athlete, but must be seen to be progressing through that zone. A maximum time will be allowed to pass through the zone of another athlete of 15 seconds
- An athlete is passed when another athlete's front wheel is ahead of theirs. Once overtaken, an athlete must move out of the draft zone of the leading athlete within 5 seconds
- 1 minute penalty for drafting
8. Participants are also required to enter the league in the spirit of the competition.
9. The awards/social night will be held on Thursday 26th June (Location TBC) directly after the team time trial event.
10. Entry fee for the TT league is €10 - (this covers all 5 time trials) payable on the first night.
FORMAT OF TT
1. Each participant starts individually at intervals of 30secs, starting at 7.00pm.
2. The time recorded and stated by the marshals is final.
3. The following prizes will awarded as follows:
- Fastest Male & Female overall (with yellow jerseys kindly sponsored by John Dempsey in Lucca Sports)
- Fastest overall 2nd and 3rd place male and female
- Club prizes: The next 2 fastest members from each club (excluding winners of the above prizes)
- Hill Climb, fastest overall male and female prizes (with winners polka dot jerseys kindly sponsored by Howard Triggs in VGraph)
MARSHALS The league will always need some volunteers to help out at the races. If anyone would like to marshal please contact your clubs representative. Anyone who marshals will be given the slowest time of the race they marshal
Kilkenny Triathlon Club – Anne O'Gorman – 087 6115112
Marble City Cyclers – James Kelly – 086 353 3926
Deenside Wheelers – Pat Maher – 087 236 9808
Kells Angels – Liam O' Sullivan – 087 9101571
For any general queries on the league, please email your respective club or post on their Facebook
Kilkenny Triathlon Club - email@example.com
Marble City Cyclers - firstname.lastname@example.org
Deenside Wheelers - email@example.com
Kells Angels - firstname.lastname@example.org
“Time trial is a race in which competitors are timed individually on a set distance over a course or track (in French: contre la montre – literally “against the watch”)”. (Source: Britannica encyclopaedia)
By virtue of participating in the TT races, cyclists must understand and accept that, because of the risk of accidents and mishaps at speed, there exists a possibility of serious physical injury and damage to property. Each participating cyclist must undertake to indemnify Marble City Cyclers, Kilkenny Triathlon Club, Deenside Wheelers, Kells Angels, their committees, members, servants and agents from liability for personal injury, loss and damage which they may cause or sustain, howsoever occurring. Joining the Clubs or participating in the TT events will be deemed to be acceptance of this condition.